Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sleep disorders

A while ago I had a friend contact me regarding what she thought was adult onset attention deficit disorder. She asked a bunch of people about drugs, and I promptly responded with alternatives. Of course.

Attention deficit disorder mirrors the effects of a number of other problems, most of them related to sleep. Several studies have made a connection between ADD and the inability of the brain to turn off the dreaming function when a person is awake.

Most of us go through periods of inattention or distractability. This coincides, in many cases, with an inability to sleep or a lighter sleep cycle, where we don't get all the REM sleep our brains need to stay in top shape. Our brains respond by trying to drop into REM sleep while we're awake. If we get enough sleep, everything works better.

While there are other possibilities, I tend to work with what I can affect. The simplest solution is getting enough sleep, but who has time for that? :) Meditation and exercise increase endorphins and wake up the brain. Many people who exercise enter a state similar to meditation without even thinking about it, a sort of resting state while fully awake.

I learned many years ago that if I could force my brain into a resting state I could make myself fall asleep.

When you're right on the edge of sleep your brain starts to run at random through images, sometimes sounds or snippets of conversation. Almost like a sorting process. One second you're looking at a field of sunflowers, the next you're listening to a snatch of Mozart. Then a child's face pops up, or a conversation overheard. In essence, your brain goes into an ADHD state where anything could be noted and called up. Everything becomes significant.

I found that if I could duplicate this form of random thought, never keeping my mind on anything for more than a second or two, I would drop into sleep without a problem. It does take practice (rather like my technique for getting rid of headaches) but if you're not sleeping well it's worth a try.

If you have random periods of inattention, or find yourself wondering who this person is you've been talking to for the last hour (You know you were introduced, but the name, the name!) it very easily could be a sleep problem.

Sometimes this happens during the day. The trick there is to force the brain to focus on one thing--it usually brings my attention back, and generally it is a clue that I didn't get enough sleep the night before. A fifteen minute power-nap may be helpful.

A tea made of equal parts of catnip, valerian and lemon balm usually helps me to calm down as well, but don't use the valerian if you're taking any kind of chemical anti-depressant or for more than a week at a time. If I need to relax but don't need to sleep, I skip the valerian or go for a smaller dose.



LR Note: YES, catnip is a human tranquilizer. Maybe it affects us differently because cats are alien...or maybe we are.


Additions to your calming pharmucopeia:
Most mints
chamomile
turkey (triptophan)
lavender

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lauren. This is really interesting. I'll try making my mind skip about rather than concentrating on stuff. I think I'm my own worst enemy because I don't do anything to stop myself thinking about writing while I'm trying to sleep! I assume it will be like counting sheep - but it isn't! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it really isn't. Counting sheep will help your mind calm down and focus on one thing, but it's NOT going to help you sleep!

      Delete
  2. Rest is significant for pretty much every part of our lives - it straightforwardly influences our wellbeing and prosperity, and can mean the contrast between awakening and feeling 1,000,000 dollars, or awakening and having the entire world feel like it's against you.


    custom earplugs for sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  3. EPOS Technologies Limited is a developer, and seller of POS Software solutions. Our mission is to change the future of POS by offering cutting-edge products, produced in total quality control by our expert team. With passion for technological innovation and customer satisfaction we have won the hearts of numerous customers around the world.
    Online Ordering

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can also enter in KBC show with a single text by giving the correct answer.
    You will get 2 chances in a month for winning KBC Lucky Draw.
    You can participate in KBC Lottery winner 2021 with a single text, call or by visiting our Head office.
    https://kbconlinewinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. online indus is a Pakistani news channel committed to bring you up-to-the minute news stories from around Pakistan & all over the world.
    https://onlineindus.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://herbal-lady.blogspot.com/2012/12/sleep-disorders.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Munn Media is a complete digital Marketing Agency that will provide above-the-line and below-the-line marketing services to our clients. At Munn Media,

    we recognize a need for a 360° approach to marketing where content, social media marketing, advertising and Search Engine Optimization


    are only the

    first steps.
    We also believe that customer feedback should be a key component of any business plan going forward – something we hope to instill in you as part of

    your experience with us as your partner. Munn Media was created after I spent over 15 years as Head of Marketing for popular engineering firms
    Munn Media was created after I spent over 15 years as Head of Marketing for popular engineering firms including Accor and other 500 Fortunes companies

    in the world. Munn Media is the progressive, modern digital marketing company. We are proud of our diverse focus spanning ecommerce, mobile apps,

    website design and development, events and experiential marketing.
    Business Keywords:
    Digital Marketing Agency
    Best Social Media Marketing Agency
    http://munnmedia.com/

    ReplyDelete