Friday, May 11, 2018

Spring is Sprung!

This year has been interesting, and it's barely started.

Most of the major projects are finished, now it's development time. The greenhouse, for example. This is the first summer with the greenhouse. I currently have three tomatoes, a zucchini and a few stalks of corn that will be in there all summer (I hope). The goal is to eventually have a "perennial" garden in the greenhouse that will produce 10 to 11 months of the year.

A few weeks ago I got some friends together and we pulled out the parkstrips. Grass is Gone for Good. :) They are now planted with perennials, and will be planted with drought tolerant annuals until I can propagate the larger plants needed to fill in. The goal there is to water twice a month or less, once everything is established.

All that grass is mounded up in the yard so I've been moving it a little at a time into other areas. I have a new "corner" garden on the southwest, and a new half-circle garden directly against the western (food) garden. In a year that grass will be composted and I'll be able to plant those areas.

All the main gardens have been transitioned to drip.

So lots of projects, lots of stuff going on, but the major infrastructure is complete. The only thing remaining is to remove all grass, which will be a long term process. Oh, and waiting for the trees to grow up. And getting all excited over my landraces. And rolling my eyes at the neighbors when they drive by and roll their eyes at my mess. They won't actually come talk to me, of course.

A few more weeks and the grass will be dealt with, which is the major mess right now. Just. Be. Patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment