Saturday, April 6, 2013

Herbs are up!

It's spring again, so you're likely going to hear more from me. This week I need to thin the yarrow--the root-mass is about three feet across and I'll probably end up throwing most of it away. I want three pieces so I'll thin one back each year rather than messing with a massive plant every three years.

So (in the herb garden, not including what I have in the rest of the yard) I have chives, catnip, yarrow, horehound, tarragon, lemon-balm, lavender, basil, valerian, foxglove and parsley. Anything decorative or ground-coverish is in other areas. The mints are in their own pots, along with the thyme and the tansy.

The rosemary died over the winter and I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the horehound, planting something else there. Not sure what, yet.

The space is about 10 feet x 20, so there's a nice aisle down the middle. I'm trying to decide whether or not to stagger it and use that space--I'd lose my path, but have room for more plants. I have three spaces left in my herb garden if I don't decide to go in that direction.

Come to think of it, I'm going to go up and tear out a horehound bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment