Monday, February 25, 2013

Garlic Update

I started harvesting my garlic, and it looks like I still have a lot of adjustments to make. The garlic cloves on the outside are from last year's spring crop (average size). The garlic cloves on the inside were grown on my windowsill.


One that is slightly larger is still in the moss. These are from the first planting; I waited until the roots were well developed and then let the moss dry out. The second planting appears to be doing much better, although the skins of the old cloves are rotting rather than drying and falling off. I have to wipe it off.

One thing I notice is that the roots are growing straight down and the base of the bulb is larger than it should be. You can see in the picture that the root area at the base of the bulb is about the same size on all four. This suggests to me that the bulb should be much larger but something failed. Nutrients? Water? We'll see how the second planting turns out. That will give me a better idea of what's going on.

I'm going to try vegetable grafting this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment