Sunday, April 21, 2013

Force Plants into Hibernation

I've got a little problem. The onions and beets I planted for seed died over the winter (I still have one onion, but that's not enough) so I won't have seed for beets or onions next year. I'm going to try something this year that I've thought of before but never actually did. I'm going to wait until the bulbs of this year's plants are about an inch in diameter and then pull them and try to force them into hibernation. If it works, I should be able to get small amounts of seed this year. Not as much as I'd like, but a little. I'll give updates later this year.

The other problem with doing it this way is that I can't choose the plants for seed--I have to just use whatever I get rather than using the largest bulbs. Next year I'm going to pull the seed beets and onions and keep them in storage. Hopefully that way they'll have a better chance of surviving.

No comments:

Post a Comment